Friday, December 30, 2011
Toast the Holidays is wine label lettering created for a client I have worked with for many years. This was a rather challenging project due to a rush deadline with very complex lettering.
I drew the rough sketch on the left within a few minutes. No details, just a basic concept to show my client what was possible. After showing the rough concept I was asked to provide to provide a tighter sketch the following afternoon. I spent the next morning creating refined drawing and got the approval to proceed.
All the lettering was hand drawn from scratch and at times I had to change areas of the design on the fly due to contrast and legibility issues. What might look great in a sketch may not work when reduced as clean vector letter forms. One of the problems I ran into was the script for UP. What I originally sketched for UP was off balance with the overall design and did not tie in with the embellishments throughout the wine glass. I spent many hours redrawing thos two script letters till I had a visual solution.
The final labels were printed in two different color schemes for both red and white wine bottles. This was some of the most beautiful lettering I had created in 2011 and a nice project to end the year with.
Thursday, December 22, 2011
Monday, December 19, 2011
I had some more free time to continue working on the AKL logos. My 3rd logo attempt was OK but I wanted something more complex. I did some additional sketching and picked a few roughs to refine. However, none of the roughs held my interest until I began playing with a spencerian style. I did approximately 50 quick spencerian sketches and ended up with only one decent version to import as an Illustrator template. While drawing in Illustrator and zooming out to view the lettering at small scale the overall contrast was not the best so I reworked the composition over and over until I had something that held up visually.
The 3rd logo in the project.
The 3rd logo in the project.
Tuesday, December 13, 2011
AKL is a logo I created for Arno Karthollnig Lettering. Basically a fun little lettering project to do while enjoying a break from recent commercial deadlines.
My first logo attempt turned out OK but I had some reservations about the legibility with a close lockup of all 3 letters.
The initial sketches were studies of 3 combined letterforms A, K & L. I used a PITT brush maker and knocked out a bunch of roughs. I taped them to my office wall for review and selected several to scan and import for use as a drawing template. My intention was not to duplicate the rough letter shapes in Illustrator. The template was nothjing more than a visual reference starting point.
I posted the logo on Dribble and a fellow lettering artist commented the logo read as "AIR". At that point I thought it best to separate the K & L and redesign the piece with perhaps more elegance. I drew another rough and and started over in Illustrator. The second logo attempt turned out rather nice compared to my first effort.
Last March I was contacted by Ink Butter to develop a logo for a skin care product they planned to launch this year.
The original logo concept Ink Butter sent to me was a good starting point but rather difficult to read. As modified set
type it had no unique identity.
Knowing the logo was to be printed on a small 2 oz. bottle I began sketching concepts with minimal flourishes and a lockup of the cap I & B. The sketches were produced with pencil and Pitt marker brush. As with most lettering projects all the concept sketching is a trial and error process best defined as making many visual mistakes to find answers and solutions.
After the first series of sketches I had to concentrate on letter specific flourishes and additional development of cap IB lockup.
A series of 5 concept sketches were selected for presentation. The 2 versions on the right of this image were selected and elements of each were combined to create the drawing template for Illustrator.
The Ink Butter logo is currently in use on both the product bottle and website. It looks beautiful and is one of my all time lettering career favorites.
Monday, December 5, 2011
This is the full color version. The background was created on a gesso texture image file with multiple layers of all the preliminary sketch studies. Every pencil line I drew to create the lettering was used. The composition changed 5 times during the process of creating this piece in an attempt to make the lettering readable.
Sunday, December 4, 2011
I created this one to work out my frustration of not being allowed to enter any of my lettering in a exhibition as digital lettering is not allowed. From my POV, it makes no difference if lettering is made with a stick, spray can, piece of chalk, brush, marker, fountain pen, crayon or a Wacom pen. It takes more than a writing instrument to make lettering as heart, soul and personality are the real ingredients.